Sunday, June 10, 2007

What dreams may come...

Paying your dues... what exactly does that mean? Essentially you have to suffer before you can be appreciated. If that is the case; Jesus must have been an artist. There was no fast tracking for him-- No 'American False Idol', no ' America's Next Top Messiah', no 'Survivor: Garden of Eden'; years of struggle and hard work.

Those that fast track their way to success without paying their dues end up falling or suffering later. I suppose people tell you to pay your dues up front; yet everyone has a story to tell in which they are still suffering. This would make paying dues redundant, would it not?

We all have goals, we all have dreams, we all have a destiny. Some people are successful in making that deal, finding their way and achieving their desire. However, no one does it alone. Yet scores of people feel as though their struggle or their journey is different and they are indeed alone on a quest to achieve Jason's golden fleece.

Yeah, that was lame, but meh... I'm an ordinary guy in a not so ordinary situation. There is no actual manual for success, though there are many books about the subject. Successful figures handing out information on how they made it. The things they overcame to get where they are and such.

Which brings me to this blog; a chronicle of one dreamer paying dues in order to achieve a pipe dream!

To bring you up to speed on the journey, I declared myself an artist sometime just before the end of high school. I attended a post-secondary institution to further my artistic endeavors but, confronted with artistic flakes, a stale curriculum and uninspiring professors I was crushed. I refused to let my writer/actor aspirations die before second semester.

I began teaching myself how to write scripts for television and film. I read anything I could get from the library and attended every writer's conference I could afford. And of course, the only thing I could do to support myself while giving me the flexibility to go out on auditions or work on a script revision, was working in restaurants...

No comments: