Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hope vs. Experience

Experience has taught me that getting up is harder than falling down. Hope gave me the strength to get back up. Experience has taught me that things are not always what they appear to be. Hope allowed me to see the good in things. Experience has taught me that you get out what you put in. Hope pushed me to put in everything I have.

When I tell people I am an actor or a writer, I am looked upon with a faint strain of recognition. "Have you done anything that I've seen?" Regrettably I have not, or I don't think it's anything to write mom about. When that looks fades, it is followed by a look of disapproval. Then follows "What else do you do?"

We all know that in order to be at the top of any career one must work hard. Once you reach the top, you are looked upon with respect and admiration. Those that are unable to attain their desire will not receive that approval. And yes, I understand that life should not be about what other think; yet in life everyone is seeking approval from someone else.

It takes a lot of hard work to be a good actor or a good writer. A good actor must know thy self and the people around them. Their job (done well) is to portray a real person; someone you admire, someone you're inspiried by, care about, hate or love. Actors must physcially become someone else while being themselves inside. The same thing goes for the writer. They need to understand the human condition and connect with it, move people with words, communicate and inspire others through black text and white pages to people all over the world. The more real and truthful the actor or writer is to themselves the better job they do. That in itself is one of the hardest things to accomplish.

How many people in this world can say that they are being honest with themselves. Like most, we all need to wear different masks in order to make it through a day. These masks aren't lies, but they are not exactly the truth either; yet we need them to survive. There are but a few that are true to themselves and have achieved things beyond their wildest dreams. There are hundreds of professions you can be good at without being true to yourself, but I sincerely believe that failure to be truthful to yourself will have damaging affects in years to come.

I question why I would want to achieve such a bizarre profession and if it's possible for someone like me to attain it. Sometimes I feel as though I may have painted myself into a corner and I am still searching for a way out. Experienced has taught me that you do not always find what you're looking for. However, hope is the tool I use to search.

No comments: