Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Catch 22

According to Workopolis, being a actor/director is the 4th best job to have and being a writer ranks 12th in the list of 20 top jobs. That's exciting news unless of course you're actually looking for employment in those fields on Workopolis. Researching acting, directing or writing positions on Workopolis takes you far away from the meticulously decorated sets, mobile trailers and lure of the silver screen.

But I have to start somewhere and begin paying my dues, so why not submit that resume as a proposal writer or a director of software or even an unknown, unestablished agency looking for fresh faces for film and TV? Well luckily that shady agency charging ridiculous 'registration' fees doesn't need a graduate degree, or 10 years of software management experience. Nope! All I needed was $800 plus another $300 for pictures and then I'd be set to start going on auditions for that major film role.

Yes, I got scammed once or twice, but like I said-- There is no manual for success; you do what feels right. You learn that things aren't always what they seem; good to get it out of the way early so you don't get scammed twice (which I did). Fortunately I didn't have to pay the whole amount upfront because of course you want to use the profits from all the work you're getting to pay some of the cost to get noticed. However, you want to get all those things out of the way so you can get pictures and get seen faster!

So now I'm almost a thousand dollars into this agency with some ridiculous photos to show for it (I still have issues with pictures to this day) . But I have to keep going because you have to follow your dream to the fullest no matter what. You have to be willing to put in 110% to get what you want. You have to be willing to go the distance!

Just when I begin losing faith in what was a sure thing to get me in the industry, I get a call for my first audition! (That'll be another post)

Now I realize what I'm really up against... Perpetual rejection: from resume/photo submission to audition. That, and I needed acting lessons, which my first shady agent forgot to mention; another $100-$300 depending on the teacher. I thought I was a natural, but I soon realized how unnatural I was in front of a camera. And of course in the back of my head, I'm thinking 'perhaps you should just give up now'.

A year goes by and the contract with the dodgey-ass agent is done. What was I left with? One audition, no direction and no source of income.

They say in this business it's who you know, not what you know. However, I made a conscious decision to learn as much in the event the opportunity presents itself to me-- I'll only have one shot and I want to appear competent. So with no money and no experience and no graduate degree, I did the only thing I could do; get a job slinging food in a restaurant.

In retrospect I think, 'Why didn't I get the graduate degree in order to get the ten years of experience so that I could have a steady job and work my way into the industry with an impressive director of software background'?

That road seemed too easy.

No comments: