Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sins of the Father

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. ~ My father was never one for biblical ramblings though my grandmother was and still is religious teacher. He came to know the bible well, but through his years decided it wasn't his way.

Watching him I got the impression that it was not money, but the lack of it that contributed to the evils of the world. My father wasn't an evil man, but he did make a habit of mentioning it whenever he saw it. Growing up I experienced the mind-blowing stories of the bible each week in a scorching hot church. Once I hit my teenage years the sermons were going into repeats and didn't go as often, but when I did, the message still seemed encrypted so that only I could understand it. And what a message! I understood why it was called the greatest story ever written. Apparently it took 100 years and over a dozen writers; talk about development hell!

How could I measure up as a writer? These bible stories have already been written many times over in every language. They say there are only approximately fourteen stories in the world. The characters, settings and small details change, but the plot always remains the same. That being said, it is truly amazing how many stories there are in the world. I can only assume there are approximately 14 life lessons we need to learn and relearn in order to survive.

Survival of the fittest has always been my father's motto. However, it seems as though my 'survival' job is non-existent at this point. Not something my father would be proud of; though I should not be working to please him. Regrettably that isn't the case. As I am sure most of you reading these posts can relate to, we often do things subconsciously to please those we love the most. To prove to them and to ourselves that we aren't a disappointment. And that you can be a success even when things are stacked against you.

My father was good at a lot of things; a jack of all trades. I don't know if he liked doing the things he was good at but he would always tell me to find what it is I like doing and figure out how to profit from it. Well I'm half way there but I think in retrospect, my father was referring to something that could provide a steady income. Actors and writer's salaries range from the hundreds to the millions of dollars. The risk is high, and so is the pay off. The biggest payoff for me is to be absolved from the well-meaning parents that are only looking out for your best interest and feel you'd earn more money as a chef or a teacher.

No comments: