Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Star Light, Star Bright...

I just bombed another audition from a very intimidating casting director. My only solace is that I was chosen; asked to come back after what I believe was a horrible audition. Perhaps the casting director enjoys rejecting me. I'm sure I'll never know.

While sitting here in the dumps, I continue to search for motivation... I present a letter I wrote to Oprah... yes Oprah... It was for an opportunity of a lifetime so I had to do it! It also serves as some much needed support. And I present it as an open letter in the event Mr. Poitier is ever bored enough to read this:

___________________________________________________________________

By the grace of God everyday Oprah helps people see and experience their truths and I would like the opportunity to experience what I believe to be my own: meeting the sage of great humility and compassion for life who inspired me with a parallel truth; which will guide me for the rest of my life.

The Measure of a Man is one of few pieces of literature that educates, inspires and leads all at once. Through your words I simultaneously experienced childhood and adulthood. I worry about the man I am and the man I will become, but although those fears are still inescapable, your book gave me guidance on how to be a good man, a strong man, a man who loves and a man that is loved, an artist, a husband, a father, a provider and ultimately a complete man. By setting a standard at which to measure my character gives me a sense of comfort about my future, not just as a black man but as a human being; whether I achieve my goals or not.

I am now aware of the cracks within my perception of my life and one day I will have to face those camouflaged demons. I know I will confront them with guidance and your spirit.

I’ve learned that when hope and perception are broken by experience you are constantly readjusting your truths which causes you to switch to survival instincts; which slows down progress. Therefore, learning how to adapt quickly, which is something you have exemplified throughout your life, is essential to success.

You’re a positive example of strength and prestige for those that wish to express themselves through means other than music or sports which are almost expected from our generation. Because of you I know that my path as well as the way I see myself, how I see others, should be determined by me and only me.

I believe Mr. Poitier, is at the very forefront of a different charge, an intellectual inequality of self, for a new generation; providing inspiration for ways to express yourself personally and professionally: with dignity and respect.

Allowing us to experience your life, frailties and all is a privilege I can’t begin to repay. Your message was received and understood. Therefore, know that your life was used to serve a greater purpose. My obligation to you for these words is too great to measure because you are an immeasurable man.

Thank you.

No comments: