Friday, June 15, 2007

The Spiderman Syndrome

I was bit by that acting bug at the age of about eight. Regrettably a cure has not been found. Unfortunately that bite didn't allow me to swing from a thread or catch thieves like flies. I would have settled for an increased sense of agility. I did however want to save the world... well change it. But at the age of eight my world consisted of ensuring I had bananas on my peanut butter and crackers and making sure I got the red brick blocks at play time.

During a class trip our school went to some learning centre where we learned about stories from different countries. We were introduced to a fellow that was like Santa, but had some dodgy thin guy leave coal in stockings to some other not so well-behaved kids. During the lessons a few lucky class members got to participate in the story. I volunteered, perhaps out of genuine curiosity or maybe it was pure boredom. Either way, my role was the hero in the story that moved mountains; literally! I cannot recall the full details of the story, but in order to save the day, my character had to move a whole entire mountain. I stood before the audience which seemed to be huge, but was probably just a dozen 8 year olds. Luckily there was no lines to remember, just reacting to the storyteller.

Everyone was watching... perhaps out of curiosity or complete boredom. But I thought I'd juice up the performance by adding a little 'World Wrestling Federation Hulk Hogan' flare! For that instant I was the strongest man in the universe! I think I showboated a little, but they loved it! Everyone was laughing and enjoyed what my little mind conceived as 'the thing to do'. The reaction of the crowd captured me and for a brief moment I felt important. Something rarely felt by a middle child. The next day in class I got my first review! Someone in the class had written that their favorite part of the day was seeing me 'kiss my muscles' and move a mountain! They loved me... they really loved me.

Regrettably my follow up performances were less than Oscar worthy. As Wise man #2 in the 'Baby Jesus Story', I accidentally lit Wise man #1 on fire with my candle behind stage. I had never seen anyone move as fast to put that fire out. That was a lesson: Kids shouldn't play with fire. However, I kept that incident off my resume so that during grade school I was allowed to wield a sword. It wasn't until six years later at the age of 12 that I learned what stage fright was. The audience was bigger, and this time I had a speaking part. I delivered my line as best as I could ~ It was one line in the second half of the play... I just remember running down the aisle trying to flee the scene of the crime. That jagged, rusty, sharp sword could of speared anyone in my way, but I had wished it was pointed the other way.

So maybe I won't save the world; I really wanted to at some point. I can now hope to change it just a little through reflecting character.

Go Spidey, go.

No comments: