Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Treat the First like the last

Treat your "first" like your "last" and your "last" like your "first". No matter what it may be, you want to give it 100%! ~ Usually the aforementioned 'words of wisdom' tell you to give some ridiculous number above one hundred. However, as we all should know, it's arithmetically impossible.

Based on percentages we can only put forth 100% in any situation; and to give it all to a pipe dream is insane. If day in and day out, I only have 100% to give, how can I afford to devote it to a dream when reality is demanding almost 100% of my attention. I believe the word 'multitask' should be removed from the English language as it requires you to divide up the 100% making us all 'Jack's (or Jackie's) of all trades', but masters of none!

The only details of my first audition I remember are the emotion. The excitement, the nervousness, the rush, the joy, the pride and then humiliation. My first audition was a 'cattle call' for a television series. I was ushered in like hundreds of others, like frightened cows into a tiny room with a director and casting agent. I had been on many job interviews before, so I figured this wouldn't be anything different. I marched in brimming with confidence because I had memorized my lines. I shook hands with the casting agent and director and gave'em both a big toothy grin. I hit my mark and delivered the lines like a Juilliard trained actor... or so I thought.

It wasn't until my third or fourth acting class that I learned you're not supposed to shake anyone's hand or give any physical contact to anyone unless initiated by someone else. In retrospect, my Juilliard skills were nothing more than a third rate middle school PTA night performance. The sickness and worry I felt after it was all over is still with me, but in a milder form. I learned it was the feeling of rejection, but I don't know if anyone can get used that.

Auditions don't get any easier, but the more I learn about them and how to handle them they don't seem as scary as they once did. The day will come when I go to my last audition; either out of frustration or good luck (I know some famous actors still audition for major parts). I will of course treat the audition as though it were my first; as it should be the gateway to achieving my goal. I also wonder if anyone knows the percentage of people who have never achieved their dreams in their lifetime. Most of all I continually wonder what percentage I will fall to.

No comments: